Sunday 2 August 2020

World Ultimate Frisbee Championship - Heilbronn 2000

It´s now twenty years since WUCG 2000 in Heilbronn, the world ultimate frisbee championship in which Spain was participating for the first time (as far as I know). I was very lucky to be part of the Spanish team and have very fond memories of the whole experience.

I first played Ultimate frisbee in high school, which at the time was very unusual in Spain (and probably still is?). Then I didn´t play for many years until I went to England as an Erasmus student in 98. I joined a great group of people coached and led by Aaron Altmann, who was the soul of Alien Nation, the Ultimate frisbee team at Cranfield University. Back in Madrid the following year, I helped founding Los Quijotes in Madrid in mid/late 1999 while serving in the Air Force (conscription was still a thing back then), until I left for UK in early 2000 to work for Rolls-Royce. There was no team in Derby, so I joined a team from Nottingham, SuperFly. Then I moved to Berlin in late 2001 and joined Discipuli, one of teams training at TiB1848, with which I continued playing for a few years.

So this week will be a bit of a throwback, posting some memorabilia that I kept from WUGC 2000 all these years.





No comments: